Hilltop Montessori School is proud of the alumni who represent us in the Birmingham community and around the country. Our alumni outreach program is growing, and we always want to know how our former students are doing. Alumni who are interested in corresponding and networking with others can access the school’s Facebook profile with the button above, or email photos or updates to be posted on our alumni page. Since 1996, HMS has impacted the lives of thousands of children. Here are some of their stories:
HMS graduates have continued their education at the following schools:
The Alabama School of Fine Arts, Altamont School, Hoover High School, Indian Springs School, John Carroll High School, Oak Mountain High School, Briarwood Christian School, Cornerstone Christian, St. Andrews-Sewanee School and Spain Park High.
Graduates of these programs have received acceptances and scholarships to: Auburn University, Berry College, Birmingham Southern College, Eckerd College, Hunter College in NYC, Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, Tulane University in New Orleans, Middlebury College, The University of Alabama Honors College, The University of Oklahoma Honors College, The University of Alabama in Birmingham, The University of North Carolina in Asheville, University of Southern California, Louisiana State University, Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts, Pomona College, University of Illinois, Florida State University, University of Florida, University of South Alabama Honors College, Oberlin College and Rhodes College.
Hilltop Montessori School has produced the following:
*A Fulbright Scholar, which is a highly competitive and highly coveted award for international study. 53 Fulbright scholars have won Nobel Prizes and 78 have won Pulitzer Prizes.
*A Jet Scholarship Winner (Japan Exchange and Teaching Program)-A competitive employment opportunity program!
* 6 National Merit Scholars, all receiving Presidential Scholarship offers for 4 year tuition and room/board and 1 National Merit Commended Student
*2 Presidential Scholarship recipients to the University of Alabama Honors College (free tuition and fees all 4 years)
*1 HOPE Scholarship recipient to Florida State University.
*2nd place in the state of Florida for Speech and Debate at the high school level.
*Outstanding college senior in Aerospace Engineering at The University of Oklahoma
*Winner of the prestigious Astronaut Award, national STEM award given by the Aerospace Industry/Astronauts at NASA
*1 Andy Abroms Memorial Scholar at Indian Springs School
*1 High school leadership forum award recipient
*One STATE winner of the National Geographic Geography Bee, who represented all the students in Alabama in Washington DC in the national bee.
* 1 student elected Mayor for Indian Springs School student government association
* 1 Finalist in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair, national competition
* 1 Finalist-National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium
* 8 National Honor Society and 7 National Junior Honor Society Members, 1 member of Beta Club
* 6 students placed as 1st and 2nd place winners in the Alabama Law Day Essay Contest
* National Spanish Exam: 2 gold awards, five silver awards, one bronze, 2 honorable mentions (Levels I-VI)
*1 Top Scholar at the University of Alabama Honors College and Semifinalist for the University Fellows program
* National Latin Exam: one Gold Award, Level V, Latin II Magma Cum Laude award
* Classical Latin Exam: one Silver Award, Level V
* Member-National Academic Championship Team, National Academic Championship winner
*Central Alabama Regional Science and Engineering Fair-3 first place winners in the junior division, 1 first place at the senior division, 2 Honorable Mentions
*1 Ford Model and Winner of Nationwide Model Talent Search for V Man Magazine
* Alabama Science and Engineering Fair-First Place in Medicine and Health Division, 2nd place Mathematics and Computer Science Junior Division, 1 2nd place in Engineering and one in Environmental Science.
* Alabama State Champion-National History Bee, individual award and team captain
* Alabama Junior Classical League Latin Scholar’s Bowl State Champion
* Gold Medal-Classical Literacy Exam
* Gold Medal-National Roman Civilization Exam
* Winner John Wallace Johnston History Award
* Winner Gage Prize for outstanding student in US History
* Winner Randolph Macon College Book Award in Classics
* Named John Frederick Oberlin Scholar/received merit scholarship/early admission to Oberlin College
* 5 students-Mu Alpha Theta, Mathematics Honor Society
*Secretary of The Altamont School SGA (Student Government Association)
*Kyser Miree Leadership Program-The Altamont School
* Winner-Bausch and Lomb Junior Class Science Award-outstanding student in the junior class
* Winner-Smith College Book Award
* Corona Laurea for Excellent Achievement on National Mythology Exam
* Five students selected to compete at the State level Geography Bee-National Geographic Society (1 additional who WON for the entire state!)
* First place winner in the Veterans of Foreign Wars Essay
*Carver-Gorgas Senior Science Award to outstanding senior
*1 Gold Key, 5 Silver Key Awards in the Scholastic Art and Writing National Competition and 2 honorable mentions for writing portfolio and personal essay
*Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge (Birmingham area chapter)-Merit Certificate for Public Communications
*Birmingham Magazine Super Student Award
*Birmingham News Scholar Athlete of the Week
*Winner-Scholarship for Indian Springs School “Learning through Living” program-boarding scholarship
*Winner-Students with disabilities goalball championship team
And numerous other awards in chess, the arts, sciences, academics and community leadership including Young Republicans, Young Democrat Clubs, student newspapers, robotics, SGA, horseback riding competitions, drama, voice, dance and karate.
Recent comments from alumni regarding their experience at HMS:
“HMS allowed me to learn at my own pace, which really fostered my math skills and helped prepare me for ASFA in math/science. I was very satisfied with my time (2-7) at HMS”
“The time we got to spend running around in the woods for recess was very beneficial. I really have nothing bad to say about my time at HMS, wonderful place that fosters a want to learn. Keep up as much nature time as possible, not playgrounds but undeveloped woods, something about that was so much more special growing up than the playground…..”
“I hope that if I ever have children they have the opportunity to experience the same Montessori experience as I did. HMS means the world to me, there’s not a negative memory associated with my time there. ”
“I felt like my academic foundation given at Hilltop helped my future learning experiences. I would have to loved to have stayed. I have always said that Hilltop allowed me to learn how I needed to learn, not how others thought I should.
“I am thankful for how Hilltop shaped my character as a lifelong learner and leader.”
“The freedom of individuality was priceless and I am thankful that I had the opportunity to excel past my peers in certain areas and that our creativity and individuality was always being recognized.”
“Spanish and math were particularly strong going into 9th grade”
“The teachers have always been amazing and the ones I had are still my favorite teachers of all time. I love the wide range of subjects we went over because when I went to public school not everyone had music class. P.E. and recess were extremely fun and I remember all the games my friends and I made up during it. Going to public school and just playing dodgeball did not nearly compare. My whole experience at Hilltop was so positive and it shaped me for who I am today.”
“Montessori’s love of learning and critical thinking skills is by far, its greatest asset to a student who continues further, more advanced education. Teacher quality is Hilltop’s best asset.”